Author Topic: Watch them helis in the community  (Read 3692 times)

Bloody

• View Profile
Watch them helis in the community
« on: March 15, 2015, 08:18:13 PM »
Been having some issues with helis in the community? I seem to get the crazy AI pilots that will fly their Huey's right at me wafter I open up on them. I have learned a valuable lesson from this too.

Make sure you distance yourself from anything they can crash into.

I shot one down, it crashed into GZ's base.
Shot another down it crashed into my MTVR pretty much destroying it.
Shot another down and it just missed Bacon's base and crashed by the pond.
Then shot one more down and it crashed right next to GZ's base.
(The last three were pretty much in succession)

I have learned to relocate as fast as possible as far away from the bases as possible and I wait a couple of seconds longer before opening up for the kill shot from the M240 humvee. So... If there's a crashed heli in your base, it wasn't me, I hope...
It's Arma. You Live, You Die. If You're Not Doing One Or The Other, You're Doing It Wrong.

Battles

• View Profile
Re: Watch them helis in the community
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:29:22 PM »
Does a helicopter do damage to buildings and bases? I'm 99% sure it doesnt to cinderblock but i'm not sure about wood.

Bloody

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
It damaged some of the wood parts of DZ base it also knocked down a concrete wall in the courtyard area. But most of it was repaired at restart except the wood parts I think.
It's Arma. You Live, You Die. If You're Not Doing One Or The Other, You're Doing It Wrong.

Del

• Get off my land.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:55:20 PM »
Agreed--relocating is key. With the UH1H's you only need to move out of line with anything you want to keep intact (what with flying straight at you). I just go prone after running 20m away from my stuff and put my red dot over the left windshield.

It's those flying baskets of lead called Mi-17's that drive me nuts...
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

Sandman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 03:10:52 AM »
You guys are making some nice posts. Good Job!

As far as base damage, a server that Hippi and I were mods on at the time had a 'base destruction day" as they were going to wipe the database afterward. The admins spawned some vehicles and aircraft and everybody got to attack their bases. What I discovered, is that cinder is pretty darn tough. It took an average of four Merlin crashes into the same wall panel to destroy it.  Metal floors take a little less to destroy.  I also discovered that the C130, although huge, isn't  any more destructive in a crash than a larger heli.

Practically every object  in the game can be destroyed. Base structures, map buildings and most other objects have a set amount of hit points that vary , but the health of the object is displayed in percent .  100% being full health and 0% being destroyed. Difference being that map structures respawn on reset and player built objects and vehicles do not. Most larger structures and vehicles in the game have two or three stages of appearance according to their health. Smaller structures and player bases only have two states, fully built and fully destroyed, and will keep their fully built form and integrity until their health reaches zero. Almost anything you do to a wall or building takes away health, but the damage may be very slight according to the weapon's power. You can eventually shoot a cinder wall or a house down with a makarov but it would take a very long time.

Also be aware that even though a base wall or floor might stop a heli from crashing through, vehicles and objects inside the base can still be damaged . Hippi shot down a heli that crashed into our base once. Even though the roof remained intact, two helis parked on the roof and, five vehicles inside were destroyed. Her personal best to date I think.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:04:58 AM by Sandman »